What happens when two magazines have the same name?

While thinking about the name that I would give my publication, I pondered many titles, many of which coincided with the titles of prevalent magazines--even outside of the United States. For example, I have the name "Ritmo Mag" in mind, but I found out that there's a classical music magazine in Spain with the same title.

Because of this, I started to think: what happens when two magazines/publications have the same name? Is it really that bad? Does it affect trademark purposes? Will I get into some sort of legal trouble despite being a minor doing a project for school?

Supposedly, I should consult with an attorney about trademark issues that might concern me in case I'd have to change my magazine's name before publishing it. But I'm a minor, I'm poor, and I'm not going to do that, so I'm going to stick to common sense.

Were this real life and not just a project for my AICE Media Studies class, I would probably be sued if I use the same name as a pre-existing publication. So, I should be fine, and at least in this case, it's okay for two magazines to have the same name.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FOR REAL FINAL

What will go in my table of contents?